Monday, September 2, 2013

Wenches Diary Where it all Started

So, this is it the start of our new blog and the start of our new adventure and I would be amiss if I didn't’ take the time to tell you where it all began. Funny, not ha ha funny,but out of your mind, what are you thinking kind of funny. If someone would have told me eight years ago that I would be sitting on the deck of our boat, homeless, possessionless, kids-less and grand baby-less boat people starting a trip to the Caribbean I would have said “no way, not on your life I’m outa here.”

Marc who sailed prior to me has always wanted a sailboat and for years the plan was to retire in Killarney Ontario, build a lovely little cottage and he would buy a small sailboat. I could garden, cook fabulous family dinners and hang out with the kids. He would teach me how to sail. 

In the winter of 2003 a dear friend of ours, passed away much too young, so we revisited our thinking and dreaming of retirement and bought a 28-foot Aloha sailboat (Martiny). Well, what a summer it was. On the long weekend in May we sailed the boat from Parry Sound into Little Current. Now you have to understand this was my maiden sailing voyage.  Marc, Daniel, Stan (a friend and valuable crew member) and I had three days to sail it 120 nautical miles. We spent the Friday night on the boat cleaning and preparing and set sail early Saturday morning. It was beautiful out, sunny and gorgeous but alas no wind.  That day was an extremely slow sail so at dusk we anchored for the night about 1/2 a mile from shore around five miles from Byng Inlet. Being me, I wanted to have a drink and big meal, but the crew was tired and just wanted to go to bed. 
Well, someone was looking out for me because around 12:30 am a storm woke us all. The wind was howling, lines were slapping. I felt like we were a cork in the ocean.There were eight-foot waves and I was terrified. The thermometer plummeted. When the sun rose Marc and Stan bundled in Skidoo suits and rain gear sailed for five hours to get five miles into Byng Inlet. Daniel, who at that time was ten and a trooper soon found out he gets seasick. The poor guy was vomiting over the side and then would look at his dad and say “its ok dad, I really like sailing”. The docks in Byng Inlet were a sight for sore eyes. We had long hot showers and a great meal. On the final day the sun warmed us again we had a perfect sail into Little Current just making the last swing bridge entry. To say I hated sailing was an understatement. I couldn’t say anything and dash Marc’s dreams or his new pride and joy. I spent the next week with him getting ready for the weekend and me, dreading the thought of it. Friends would ask how it went and I would cringe.  Well, I made it through that weekend and every weekend after all summer. We didn’t take the boat out of the water until the end of October. I now love the boat and cherish every minute we get to spend on it. From sailing into a cove with twenty other boats all anchored for the night and a big bomb fire on shore, to hiding in a secluded bay and skinny-dipping in the morning. Drinking a bottle of wine and watching the sun set or the peacefulness of the sail and yes the excitement of the races we have participated in.  Surprisingly, I even love the big wind. We have met wonderful people and loved when friends and family spend time on the boat with us. 

As with all good things comes progression. We sold Martiny in 2009 and purchased a 34.5 First Beneteau which we renamed DevOcean. DevOcean is new to us.  She not the Gozzard my husband longs for, she needs some TLC, but she has afforded us the ability to retire this year and dare to dream of sails to come, new waters to explore and countries to visit. 
Cold & Enthusiastic Daniel



Stan Black & I on Martini

First Trip Through the Manitoulin Island Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment