Monday, January 5, 2015

Titusville Watching The Launch A Comedy Of Errors

We had been on the hook for eight days so it was time to fill the tanks, enjoy hot showers, fetch fresh milk and work on a couple of land jobs that needed our attention, so we scooted into Titusville (Marc insists on dropping the u). I always rate marinas on how clean the bathroom is and if there’s copious amounts of hot water. Marc’s rates marinas by the dockage and how close a marine store can be found. Titusville Municipal Marina was a great little marina. 
Titusville Marina

Our plan was to complete our tasks and head back to the ICW the following day. So we scrubbed the boat, scrubbed ourselves, scrubbed the clothes and where planning our route when we met Nicky & Marc of the sailing vessel Arial from New Brunswick. Marc told us that there was to be a launch at Cape Canaveral on Tuesday the 6th 06:18. 

Watching a NASA launch definitely changed things. We decided that on the next day we would head to the Cape Canaveral lock to anchor and get a close up view. Woo who, so excited. The next day we woke to grey skies, gusting winds and white caps. Our planned anchorage and birds eye view was out. 
Our View Of Cape Canaveral 
I Ran The Bridge!
Plan number two, stay in Titusville for the extra day, and watch the launch from here. Titusville is sort of parallel to Cape Canaveral and easy to see with the naked eye. Nicky and Marc had rented a car and asked if we wanted to join them at a popular viewing sight. Of course, be ready to leave by 05:30. We are ex military, 05:30 easy, peasy. I check the batteries on the cameras, Marc charges up the go pro, we gather coffee mugs and paraphernalia, lay out our clothes, prepare the coffee so we just have to flip on the burner in the am. We were so prepared it would have made any boy scout master proud. Marc asks “are you going to set an alarm?” I respond yes, Marc decides to set one too which creates a lively but funny conversation about how I never sleep in, and how his confidence in my ability to wake is such a fleeting characteristic that he consistently complains about it.
People Taking Pictures Of People Taking Pictures 
Waiting For Launch
 I SLEPT IN! Marc’s alarm doesn’t go off, my alarm doesn’t go off. It’s 06:05 and the launch is at 06:18. We quickly try to dress, I ask Marc to take a camera and head to a viewing area a ten minute jog away.  Out he goes, I scramble minutes later to catch up, grab my camera and leave. The next hour becomes a comedy of errors with me forgetting the memory chip for my camera, me getting lost, Marc and I not finding each other and Marc’s desperate search for a restroom culminating into a scrubbed launch. I hope we do better for the rescheduled friday morning launch.  

The Launch Was A Scrub But The Morning Was Amazing 


Marc Manatee Watching 



No comments:

Post a Comment