Sunday, November 16, 2014

I love Alexander Fleming for the discovery of penicillin, blue cheese is my favourite cheese, but mould on a boat is not so good!

I love Alexander Fleming for the discovery of penicillin, blue cheese is my favourite cheese, but mould on a boat is not so good!

We have been happily back two days now, and wow did we ever come back to a lot of work. In Little Current when we winterised DevOcean we would tuck her in for a cold winter, then when spring came shake off the snow, thaw her out, fill the cupboards and move back in.  Coming back to DevOcean in Florida was just not the same, we had never summerised a boat in a warm climate so we were extra diligent, we cleaned her, removed most food stuff, bagged clothes and linens and buttoned up hatches. 


We have been pretty lucky that DevOcean has always been a fairly dry boat, right now “dry” wouldn’t be a way I would describe her.  Somehow, we are not sure how, our port and starboard  windows cracked in exactly the same spot,along with the cracks the seals around the windows broke also. Maybe a good jolt, what do you think? Other than having a big job to replace the windows nothing has been completely ruined but their has been a lot of elbow grease. Thankfully the cabins are dry, but the salon didn’t escape unscathed.  The bilge was full of lets call it guck, cushions wet, lockers dark and damp, dampness and salt air corroded anything that it could. Thank goodness we caught everything so quick. I love Madame Curry for the discovery of penicillin, blue cheese is my favourite cheese but mould on a boat is not so good!

2 comments:

  1. I am sure that the title of this post is only in jest as the spelling is wrong and she did not discover penicillin. We find that even in the Med in winter mould can grow with the colder days. A dehumidifier is a wonderful instrument but we still have to clean down a lot. Now if everyone would stop breathing life would be far simpler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, thanks for the reminder. I guess I think I'm smarter than I really am. Working hard to get back in the water and off the hard.

      Delete